Friday, August 24, 2012

On the Road

Here we go!  I'm posting pictures of our way out to Wisconsin first.
Good Ol' Wyoming  
I thought the saddle seats at McDonald's were so clever and the windmills were quite the sight.   
We even saw a real coal mine working.  I know it doesn't seem like it in the picture, but that truck was HUGE!  We saw so many trains too along the way which the boys loved!

MOUNT RUSHMORE
Keystone, South Dakota
This really was a fun stop.  South Dakota was beautiful and had so many fun things to do!  We just wished we had more time to spend around the Black Hills area.





The night program was really neat.  They showed a patriotic film and then asked anyone in the audience who had served at any time in the military to come up.  They took the time to introduce/honor each serviceman/woman and then had them help take the flag down for the day.  It really was touching.  Then they turned on the lights to see the mountain.  We could even see bats out flying around in the spotlights.  Ashley shrieked throughout the whole program.  It was so quiet and respectful and then you heard her:)  I took her up to the top of the amphitheater and David said you could still hear her.  I guess she wanted to give her salute somehow:)    
Stopping for lunch along the Missouri River
We drove an extra 1 1/2 hours just to "hit" North Dakota, so I wan't going to let that sign go by... but I didn't quite get it either:)  We stopped to eat dinner long enough to see a good ol' mid western storm roll in and roll out just like that.  It was pretty crazy.  
Of course we had to get a picture of Brandon:)  We stopped their for gas.  Cute, quaint town in Minnesota.  

MALL OF AMERICA
Bloomington, Minnesota
This place was crazy!  It was so huge, we didn't even touch a quarter of it.  We really enjoyed the Sea Life Aquarium though, and spent most our time there. 
Touching the Starfish
I thought the Jellyfish were so cool...
...but the sharks topped it all!   
This part of the aquarium was just awesome.  I know it doesn't look like it with sharks about to eat us, but it really was just so peaceful standing there feeling like you were in the ocean a part of it.  I loved it!


We also stopped by Lego Land which was pretty amazing too.

The amusement park was behind us, but we didn't do much there.  The kids were thoroughly
  entertained with everything else, which was nice.
This picture is made out of Legos.  Pretty crazy!
They had an arcade, and the boys had so much fun "playing" all the games. Isn't it great when they don't care if they are really playing or not? H/H!

Well that was the first leg of our trip.  We got to Jordan and Amber's in Wisconsin late that night and we hit the ground running:)  More to come with that adventure later! 

2 comments:

Brent & Paij Collins said...

Wow. You guys are so cool. I seriously want to be like you when I grow up. I've never been to Mt. Rushmore. I'm glad it was cool. You enjoy the aquarium and I'll enjoy the ocean.:) Just plan Guam for your next trip! Keep enjoying your trip! Your kids are such troopers.

Lauren and Trevor said...

Love the pictures! I love the pics with the sharks above you. I bet that was pretty neat to be right there with them.