Monday, March 15, 2010

Surely Heaven Weeps...

...With my dear friend. She lost her 4 1/2 month old baby boy this week and as she laid him to rest, the rain and snow came down. She said, "surely heaven weeps." But at the same time, Heaven must rejoice, for the return of this perfect spirit whose life here was so short. My heart goes out to her and her husband at this time. The funeral was beautiful and the spirit was strong. Truly, the veil was thin to strengthen all those who were there.

This time has made me reflect on my beliefs and the great comfort that comes from the gospel of Jesus Christ. There could be NO other way to go through a trial such as this. I also have thought about how much the Lord blesses us through the simple joys of everyday life and how we can never take that for granted. There is so much love and beauty that surrounds us, if we only choose to look for it. Our Savior Jesus Christ can bring us that peace because He suffered and died for each one of us. He also has a plan for each of us and we are promised that families can be together forever.

I thought about a song that one of our beloved prophets wrote. It is just a beautiful song. I don't know how to get the music on here, but if you ever find it, it is worth listening too!

What Is This Thing Man Calls Death?
Text: Gordon B. Hinckley
Music: Janice Kapp Perry
What is this thing than men call death?
This quiet passing in the night?
'Tis not the end but genesis
Of better worlds and greater light.
O God, touch Thou my aching heart
And calm my troubled, haunting fears.
Let hope and faith, transcendent, pure,
Give strength and peace beyond my tears.
There is no death, but only change,
With recompense for vict'ry won.
The gift of Him who loved all men,
The Son of God, The Holy One.
Although her sweet baby's life was short, he taught and loved so much!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So sad. I feel for her and for you as her friend. Do I know this friend?

Erin said...

President Hinckley's words are very beautiful, I still tear up every time I see that picture. Take care