Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Fruits of our Labor

David grew up with an impressive and delicious garden. I was a bit intimidated to do our own, because I thought eveything I would touch would die. I also did not think I would enjoy it. Needless to say, I have enjoyed it and even get a little preoccupied by it. I love going out and checking it and seeing how it grows each day. I think I even get more excited about it than Adam does.
David, Adam, and my Dad got the ground ready. It was a lot of work to till the ground. I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical at first with just putting seeds/plants in the ground, with little prepping, since square foot gardening is such the craze, but that is what we did and amazingly, IT GROWS!

Adam hard at work

Garden in May Just Planted
David helped me plant everything and then said, "Okay, this is yours now!" I was nervous, so even though he said it was mine, and he was busy with the yard, he still did a lot of work for me with it:)

We got a crazy snow storm the end of May. I took this picture after most of the snow had melted, because our garden was covered with a sheet of snow. I never thought our plants would survive and was so dissapointed, but plants are resillient I guess!

Garden in July
When we came back from a trip, I could not believe how much our garden had grown! I feel like I am the mom of a newborn child or something, so sorry for such a long post:) H/H! I am just amazed that things grew. I didn't even have to do much, that's the crazy thing.

Banana Peppers

Bell Peppers

Zuchinni Squash

Roma Tomatoes

Broccoli

Strawberries
I have never been much of a vegetable eater, and don't really know what to do with most of this, but I am excited to try out our harvest. I think everything tastes better fresh, so it should be good. If any of you have good ideas or good recipes on how to use these veggies, I would love it!
We also have green beans, lettuce, and a raspberry plant.

2 comments:

Collins said...

That is awesome. You go girl. We don't really have a place to plant right now but we do have tomato plants on our balcony and even that has been fun. Enjoy eating your vegies.

Lauren and Trevor said...

Wow I am super impressed! It looks great and I am very interested to know how you kept it so weed free. Ours has not done so well this year and when we got back from our trip there were too many weeds in it to even begin weeding it.

Looks good! (Erin's cheesy potato soup is a very yummy way to use your broccoli)